Saturday, July 25, 2009

Today's discount book purchase

Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon (hc) by Daniel Dennett for six dollars.

I've read this but didn't have a copy.

Of the so-called "New Atheists" books, this is one which I find most baffling to be lumped in with the others. Unlike the work of Dawkins, Harris, and Hitchens, Breaking the Spell is not a polemical attack on religion in general or religious belief but a call for critical, scientific inquiry regarding religion and its pros/cons; and a survey of what science can, might, and has tell/told us about it.

The review at Majikthise does a good job of explaining what Dennett's critics have misunderstood about the book.

2 comments:

Psyberian said...

Not that there's anything wrong with online stores, but I bought my old Hegel book for $5.00 at a (real - not virtual) used book store.

Hume's Ghost said...

I get almost all my books from the library store or at the library sales; then I look through the discount sections at local stores.

Only rarely will I get a book on-line, although Amazon used to have great deals on books through other venders where you could get new books for a penny plus shipping (so around 2 or 3 dollars.)

Back where I used to live there was a discount bookstore down the street from my house that sold everything for at least a half off, too. I miss that store.