Friday, March 14, 2008

President Bush claims to be envious of soldiers

Via Think Progress

“I must say, I’m a little envious,” Bush said. “If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed.”
Right. Just like when he was slightly younger and not employed as president, when he was on the frontline in Vietnam by being in the Air National Guard in Texas (although his record in that is spotty as well.)

I can't wait for Glenn Greenwald's new book - Great American Hypocrites - to come out. It deals with precisely this sort of nonsense ... the way the conservative movement creates a fiction of itself that is not connected to reality.

2 comments:

gawker said...

I think his next sentence was even better :

“It must be exciting for you … in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger."

I have to admit I am relying merely on television reportage, but I have to admit, killing other people, watching other people be killed and getting killed yourself doesn't seem very "romantic" to me.

You know, it's really scary to see someone so frivolous, casual and immature about war to be in charge of this country. I really cannot imagine how someone can be so disconnected from reality and be so completely oblivious to his disconnection.

Hume's Ghost said...

Yeah, the way someone like Bush can warp reality to reduce cognitive dissonance is pretty impressive. It's quite disturbing that someone so disconnected from the actual world is the president of the USA