- Newt Gingrich thinks World War III would be good for Republicans.
- Greenwald suggests that journalists should devote some attention to the eliminationist nature of the rhetoric coming from the pro-Bush blogosphere.
- Alonzo Fyfe on the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah and the need to protect innocents from harm.
- In Turkey, if you call the 1915 - 1923 Turkish genocide of Armenians genocide, you can be placed in prison for three years.
- Matthew Yglesias has developed a Green Lantern theory of geopolitics (via, ironically enough, The Green Knight)
- Kevin Baker's must read Harper's essay on the development of the Götterdämmerung (stabbed in the back by internal enemies) meme in American politics.
- A thought provoking interview about the universal principle of human rights (and related topics) from a man I'd never heard of before seeing the article linked at Butterflies and Wheels.
Finally, a quote. I saw this on the cover of Of Empire, a collection of essays* by Francis Bacon:
"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..."
*The entire line of Great Ideas books from Penguin have fantastic quotes on the cover.