Sunday, July 16, 2006

Light blogging round up

Hopefully I'll be able to write some more substantial posts this week starting tomorrow with a review of Whose Freedom? by George Lakoff (which I was fortunate enough to receive a review copy of), but until then here's a round up of some items worthy of consideration.

Finally, a quote. I saw this on the cover of Of Empire, a collection of essays* by Francis Bacon:

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..."

*The entire line of Great Ideas books from Penguin have fantastic quotes on the cover.

2 comments:

steeplebob said...

I have wondered where you get your quotes.

Hume's Ghost said...

When ever I read something I try to take notes on it, or jot down where the information is so I can find it in the future.

It's an idea I got from Martin Gardner. He indexes on notecards information that he finds interesting so that he has his own personal reference library.