Saturday, July 08, 2006

Eating ethics

Peter Singer has a new book (co-written with Jim Mason) out called The Way We Eat: Why our Food Choices Matter.

I've never really given much thought to the ethics of eating, but a previous article by Singer caused me to abandon eating eggs that are not hatched by cage free chickens, and issues raised in Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation (see here for chapter excerpts) about the economic, environmental, social, and political pressures and conditions created by various food industries opened my mind up to the consideration that there could be reasons other than concern for animals not to eat particular foods. I've since then also decided to not eat pork anymore (which isn't much of a sacrifice, since the only pork I ate was ham, and that rarely) because it just didn't seem right to eat something that is as intelligent as a dog; plus, as Singer describes in his newest column, they are raised in miserable conditions.

I think this is a subject that more people might benefit from considering, as it's one that most people have never really paused to give much consideration to. I know I haven't.

Even if you don't change your mind, one can only benefit from challenging their beliefs. And you likely won't find someone more challenging than a philosopher like Singer.

No comments: