Saturday, April 15, 2006

Quote of the day

"Man is the measure of all things" - Protagoras

A while back I said that I'd get around to explaining what the sophists got right. Well, here goes:

The Sophists were right in pointing out that beliefs are relative to the perception of man. (Ok, I'm being terse, but I'm not feeling so well at the moment. For more info check out the Internet Encylopedia of Philosophy entry I link to above.)

But recognizing this fact, we can attempt to employ objective methods of inquiry to overcome personal bias and increase our knowledge of the world. This is the aim and purpose of science.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you are interested in philosophy. I love it and have a B.A. in psychology and philosophy and an M.S. in psychology.

I’m curious, is your name "Hume's Ghost" a reference to one of my favorite philosophers - David Hume?

Hume's Ghost said...

Yep, David Hume.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the quote that awoke Kant from his “dogmatic slumber.” Hume’s destruction of causality was one of the most mind-blowing experiences I’ve ever had. I mean it really opened my eyes. This world of ours is really more about habit and psychology than logic and he proved it - with logic! His “Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion” was fantastic too.