Thursday, October 04, 2007

Unbelievable

I was looking at the New York Times Election Guide 2008 on the stances taken by the candidates on global warming and - I suppose by now I should know better but - I was in amazement to see Tom Tancredo turn global warming into an opportunity to push his anti-immigration (or nativist, if you prefer) views.

"I have no doubt that global warming exists. I just question the cause and what we can do to ameliorate it. But I wonder why the Sierra Club isn't going crazy about the environmental aspects of massive immigration into the U.S. The fact is, Americans consume more energy than anyone else, so if a person moves here from another country, they automatically become bigger polluters." - Time, May 31, 2007

Are you kidding me?

If your eyes happen to wander about a centimeter below you'll see that Tancredo does in fact have doubts that global warming exists. Or at least he did a couple of weeks before the above comment was made.

"First of all, the whole issue of global warming, for every single scientist that tells you it's happening and that it's our fault -- and they'll stack up to here in this reports -- I can stack up another group of reports that say just the opposite. I don't believe that -- well, I'll tell you this, I don't know whether or not we are responsible, we the human race, are responsible for global warming. It certainly could be happening, it certainly could be a natural phenomenon." -Republican debate, May 15, 2007

No comments: