Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Profoundly disturbing

From Yahoo
A new draft US defense paper calls for preventive nuclear strikes against state and non-state adversaries in order to deter them from using weapons of mass destruction and urges US troops to "prepare to use nuclear weapons effectively."
This is, quite frankly, madness. Utterly frightening madness
"To maximize deterrence of WMD use, it is essential US forces prepare to use nuclear weapons effectively and that US forces are determined to employ nuclear weapons if necessary to prevent or retaliate against WMD use," the document states.
I had thought the US and the world had moved away from the precipice of disaster known as Mutually Assured Destruction, but, alas, it appears not.
The doctrine reminds that while first use of nuclear weapons may draw condemnation, "no customary or conventional international law prohibits nations from employing nuclear weapons in armed conflict."
I'm speechless. Really. I'll have more to say later when I compose myself and gather my thoughts.

EDIT - Well, I've gathered my thoughts a bit. I do feel that this pre-emptive nuclear strike doctrine is one that merits a legitimate response rather than just emotional reaction (which is all I have given so far and something I've done too much of lately) so sometime this week I will post why I feel this is a horrible policy to adopt.

No comments: