Thursday, June 01, 2006

Some self-criticism

One thing that appealed to me about starting a blog was that it would allow me to track the development of my thoughts, as well as to revisit them and re-evaluate them at some later date when I might be free from the influence of the passion of the moment. With that in mind, let's take a look at a couple of posts that I now regret.

First, my V for Vendetta entry. Ug. I cringe when I read that one. Not the part where I respond to Debbie Schlussel, but the part where I advocate seeing the movie to make a political statement. I hate it when other people do that, and I'm embarassed to have done it myself. If I could do it over again, I would write:

I saw V for Vendetta. It was fairly entertaining, as far as action movies go. The movie has been adapted from the original comic to serve as a parable about today's political climate, and I hope that its theme is one that will resonate with the public.

Or something to that effect.

The other post that bothers me is this entry on Halliburton. I let my outrage over the thought that the company is war-profiteering push me to write something that I now view as disturbingly demagogic. If I could do that one over, the header would be "Halliburton: Dishonest and Corrupt" and the body would have been nothing but the links, or the links with commentary on the Bunny Greenhouse whistle-blower story, which I believe is the one that had me upset in the first place.

No comments: