Thursday, May 03, 2007

Site recommendation

I'm still busy working on some of the aforementioned posts, but one of the subjects that I was most concerned with before I took my break from blogging was the future of the internet, specifically in regards to the issue of "net neutrality."

Now, I have not been able to keep up with this issue as much as I'd like, but I am comfortable in saying that I am still well aware that this is a subject that goes woefully unadressed by our mainstream press.

Which is why I'm recommending Hear Us Now, a project of Consumers Union with a goal of:

promoting a fair and just marketplace by empowering consumers to fight for better and more affordable telephone, cable and Internet services or equipment. By focusing on major media, technology and communications issues and emphasizing local stories, HearUsNow.org will help explain increasingly complex issues and the connections between these issues, underscore what's at stake, and offer ways to make improvements.
One feature of the site that I would recommend utilizing is its blog which can keep you updated on on-going developments in the world of communnications. As an example, check out this blog entry about broadband providers using early termination penalties to reduce marketplace competition and consumer choice.

Another area of the site I would direct the reader's attention to would be this section on Community WiFi, which I will only now say tantalizingly that I believe is an issue with significant implications for the future of democracy.

No comments: