Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Intellectual honesty watch

I've been extremely critical of Michelle Malkin on this blog, so I feel that its only fair that I link to this post where Malkin chides Ann Coulter for her recent "raghead" comment at the CPAC meeting.

But since Michelle also took this as an opportunity to again assert that "liberals" are more unhinged than "conservatives" I feel it fair I respond to that. First, Malkin claims that "the Right is far more self-critical than the sanctimonious liberals who never say a peep about the routine hatred and poisonous ethnic/racial/religious identity politics exhibited by their own" and that "we don't need your prodding." Well, despite her protestation, it did take some prodding. After all, Ann has been a hate-monger for years, and Malkin has never seen fit before to distance herself from Coulter. As I previously blogged, Michelle has before referenced Coulter as a "better way to lay into liberals," and that was well after Coulter had made numerous eliminationist remarks about liberals.

I also take issue with this:

I'll show you 100 liberal hate mails and blog posts referring to me as a "gook" or a "chink" or a "filipina whore" for every 1 "raghead" controversy on the right.
Well, yeah. If you compare mainstream media figures versus the thousands (perhaps millions of web surfers) then odds are you're going to find more uncivil remarks from the web. And obviously those comments are inexcusable. Does Malkin really think that the majority of people she considers liberal find that sort of speech acceptable? I expect that the majority of Americans - regardless of their politics - find this sort of behavior intolerable. Also, there are idiots across the political spectrum who will respond like juvenile assholes to something they disagree with - that is simply a fact of human nature.

All in all though, she is still scolding Coulter, and that's a good thing.

Update: Um, John had brought this to my attention in a previous post, but I forgot that at the same CPAC meeting Coulter also said

Iran is soliciting cartoons on the Holocaust. So far, only Ted Rall, Garry Trudeau, and The New York Times have made submissions.
Malkin has made no denunciation of this completely slanderous, malicious, and false statement.

3 comments:

gawker said...

"If you compare mainstream media figures versus the thousands (perhaps millions of web surfers) then odds are you're going to find more uncivil remarks from the web"

All she's got to do is log on to freerepublic and the nutjobs in her inbox will more than be compensated by those on that website.

But dont be too sure about her scolding Coulter. Today's Valentines day so they'll probably make up again and have roast liberal with a side of mashed potatoes for dinner.

John Lombard said...

Actually, I was about to post on this too, but then I read further in and saw it was just an excuse to bash liberals, even repeating her patent "the right reigns in its bad boys" canard.

Also, it's a "non-denunciation", consistent with all she's written in praise of Coulter. She's not displeased with Coulter, just overt racism.

Hume's Ghost said...

That was my impression, too - although I was in a generous mood. Like I said, despite her protestation, I don't think we would have even seen this if she hadn't got a flood of e-mails asking her why she wasn't busy doing the policing she says she does of Coulter's comments, then what she does denounce is the particular comments, but not Coulter herself, which would seem to indicate she's ok with the rest of Coulter's hate.