Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Kindle is awesome (and a podcast recommendation)

Well, I finally got around to getting myself Amazon's Kindle e-reader since I could no longer resist the idea of being able to carry around 1,500 books in a single, small handheld device. That and the fact that I'm running out of space with the regular books I have piling up around the house.

I've been loading the device up with public domain material that you can get for free or a minimal price. For example, I got 27 books of pulp sci-fi innovator Edgar Rice Burroughs for the enormous sum of 1 dollar. It's also great for finding obscure books that I was previously unable to track down like the Tom Sawyer sequels Tom Sawyer Abroad and Tom Sawyer Detective.

The books download almost instantly and read - as promised - like regular book text. It's an extremely user friendly device which you'll be able to take straight out of the box and begin using without spending much (if any) time reading the instruction manual.

As for the podcast recommendation: Baggini's Philosophy Monthly.

As the title suggests, this is a podcast about philosophy, hosted by pop philosopher Julian Baggini, someone this blog has referenced more than once.

No comments: