Saturday, November 07, 2009

Quote of the day

"My TV doesn’t work and I’ve never watched Glenn Beck. Can you imagine how hard it is for me to understand, much less believe, that this routine is based on the gestures and madness of an actual person who apparently influences 30% of (US) Americans?" - Commenter Linda N. at Arthur Goldwag's blog, responding to Jon Stewart's parody of Beck

Update: I made this point in response to Linda in that comment thread, but I think it worth repeating here. If you aren't familiar with Beck's program and see Stewart do that routine, you'd just assume when Stewart uses the game Operation to allege a conspiracy to remove Beck's appendix he's just being silly. But that's based on an actual segment of Beck's show in which Beck played Connect Four to demonstrate a supposed Marxist conspiracy of radicals in the White House.

2 comments:

We Are The 801 said...

Totally off-topic but: HAPPY CARL SAGAN DAY!! :-)

Hume's Ghost said...

Yeah, thanks. I almost forgot about that ... if you check the Skeptic site reading room (or their eSkeptic) they've made a bunch of articles about Sagan available on-line.