Thursday, May 05, 2005

Kansas debates evolution

Ok, I was all set to just let this one go. I was reading this AP story and I wasn't going to say anything. I was going to bite my tongue and just wait to see if anything came of it. But then I read this towards the end of the article:
Charles Thaxton, who lives near Atlanta but is a visiting assistant professor of chemistry at the Charles University in the Czech Republic, also presented another key criticism of evolution. He testified that there's no evidence that life formed from a primordial soup.
See, this is the sort of thing that is terribly frustrating to people that have more than a passing understanding of evolutionary theory. One, it is misleading in that while there may not be any evidence that life formed out of primordial soup there is evidence that life forming out of a primordial soup is plausible. Secondly, and more importantly, this cannot be a "key criticism of evolution" because what the professor is actually addressing is abiogenesis, a related but seperate theory. It's like citing a criticism of the Big Bang theory as criticism of the heliocentric theory.

No comments: