Friday, September 10, 2010

Book sale bonanza

Here is what I purchased at the library book sale, yesterday, for the grand total of eight dollars (hard covers for a dollar; paperbacks fifty cents):

The Coming of the New Deal, 1933-1935 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol. 2) (hc) by Arthur Schlesinger

Static: Government Liars, Media Cheerleaders, and the People Who Fight Back (hc) by Amy Goodman and David Goodman

Panic: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity (hc) edited by Michael Lewis

The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World (1788 - 1800) (hc) by Jay Winik

The Informant (pb) by Kurt Eichenwald

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid (pb) by Douglas Hofstadter

Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War (hc) by Michael Isikoff and David Corn

Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic (hc) by Chalmers Johnson

Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free (hc) by Charles Pierce

The only one of these books that I have previously read is Nemesis. Of the remaining books, I'm probably most excited to read Idiot America, although there is no telling when I'll get to it.

Godel, Escher, and Bach is a 1980 edition that was donated and looks like someone has had it on their book shelf for thirty years without ever reading it. And The Coming of the New Deal is a '59 edition and is in remarkable condition considering its age.

1 comment:

NB said...

I easily count GEB among the top-10 most influential books on my life. I wish I were smarter so I could rank it higher.

I am unfamiliar with the other books on your list but they look interesting.